Awnings are normally used to improve the outdoor spaces dramatically. They can make these spaces more enjoyable and liveable for the entire year. You can easily use outdoor spaces like decks and patios for dining or entertainment in every weather condition by providing shades on them. Awnings can also allow you to enjoy a cup of coffee on a rainy day without getting wet or to protect your guests of BBQ party from the cruelty of the UV rays just by providing you a cover.
Awnings can also help the owners of restaurants and cafes in increasing their business considerably by installing them accurately. Awnings on an attractive dining space can make it more attractive for its customers as it allows them to enjoy in outdoor spaces in any weather condition.
Unlike blinds, awnings also help in protecting the frames of your doors and windows as well as furniture used outdoor from harmful elements including hot sunrays and rain etc. along with allowing you to see them from the window of your room.
Thus, after knowing so many benefits of installing awnings, if you have made up your mind to install them at your home then it is necessary for you to know few things to buy the best awnings for you. The tips provided here under will help you to choose the best awnings for your home.
1. Recognise your needs: Awnings can provide a number of benefits to your property including improved looks, increase in usable outdoor space, advertising your business by improving visibility and providing protection to your guests in different weather conditions. So while buying awnings you should make a decision on the basis of the benefit you want to take form it. It will help you in choosing the most useful awning for you.
2. Material of the awning: Awnings are made from different types of materials. Every material has its own suitability and maintenance requirements. Normally awnings made from aluminium and outdoor fabrics are used popularly. The need of maintenance for the awnings made from outdoor fabrics, available in various colours, is more than aluminium awnings. On the other hand aluminium awnings are strong but their colours and designs cannot be customised as per your requirements.
3. Angle of the awning: People usually overlook the importance of the angle of the awning but in fact it can improve its performance in general. In order to get the best performance on the west or east facing windows its angle should be low by 65-75 degree whereas for the windows facing southward it can be low up to 45-60 degree, depending upon the angle of the sun.
4. Side panels of the awnings: Though side panels are additional features for your awnings but they can improve its architectural looks. They can also provide good coverage from other directions without using more shades to get required protection.
5. Types of awnings: Awnings are available in various types including stationary, free standing and retractable. You should consider all of its types to find the best one for your home.
Retractable and roll up awnings can be controlled easily to get the required amount of natural light and heat from sun, especially during winters. So if you want to install awnings at your decks or patio then you should prefer retractable awnings. It can also make it easy and safe to use switches and motors by retracting it, when required. Some of the retractable awnings with latest techniques have sensors for wind and sun so that they can roll-out or roll-in automatically with the changes in the weather conditions. But while choosing retractable awnings you should keep in mind that they cannot face high winds and heavy rains. So, in bad weather conditions you will have to retract them to avoid their damage.
On the other hand, freestanding awnings are normally used on decks, terraces or patios. If you want to separate an area for special purpose like BBQ then a freestanding awning can make it more effectively. Businesses also use freestanding awnings to improve their marketing campaigns.
6. Size of the awning: The size of your awning should depend on the size of your entire space as well as the purpose for which it is to be used. A big size awning can provide more shade and coverage to your outer space whereas a small awning can be used as a lovely piece of decoration to improve the looks of your outdoor space.
7. Style of the awning: Awnings are available in wide range of styles from which you can choose as per the outward appearance of your space. They are available in dome style, open or closed sides, quarter barrel style, standard double bar style, semi-circular style, waterfall style and gable walkway style from which you can choose as per your suitability and preferences. Your awning company or architect can help you to choose the best style of the awnings for your home.
8. Colour of the awning: Basically you should choose the colour of the awning according to the looks of your space. Usually people prefer light colours to reflect heat and block sunlight but you should also match their compatibility with the interiors of your home. you can create a sensible flow between your outdoor and indoor spaces by choosing complementary colours and style of your awnings.
9. Location of the awnings: Awnings can be used on decks and patios for protection from harsh sunrays along with providing shade and lower temperature. They are also used on doors and windows to reduce incoming of heats inside the house and protect interiors of your house as well as external elements from damaging sunrays. In this way it can reduce your cost of cooling your home.
10. Customer support: You should buy awnings form a reputable company so that you can get support from their specialists while choosing the most suitable one for you and installing your ideal awnings in your space. They can also help you in understanding the benefits of the awnings you have selected. They can also tell you about the guarantees and warranties offered by the company to use in case of any operational problem.